When was the last time you learned something and the Internet was not involved? E-learning has become an inseparable part of today’s education.
Using the latest technology, you can now administer any form of training with much ease. This is applicable across various industries, beyond just education. For example, while operating an organisation, training your employees is essential. And there are many e-learning companies in India that offer such services.
For a commercial organisation, e-learning offers the benefit of creating a standardised set of courses, which can be deployed at multiple locations at the same time. This means, you can offer the same course at multiple venues with little to no delay. This is especially useful when you are adopting a new enterprise process within your company.
For an educational institute, e-learning offers an efficient method of knowledge delivery. Here, students can access their courses on their personal computers or smartphones. Application of the Internet makes the whole process of teaching and evaluation much easier.
Types of E-learning
There are primarily two types of e-learning courses based on how information is deployed to the learners.
The synchronous type of e-learning is the online or distance education delivered in real-time. Here, learning takes place within a virtual place powered by the Internet. Examples of synchronous e-learning include virtual classrooms created through video conferencing, teleconferencing, live chatting, or live streaming.
Here, the participants can interact with each other using instant messaging, video conference, chat or simple audio. Hence, learners can engage in active discussions with each other and the instructor and receive immediate feedback.
- With synchronous e-learning, you get better classroom engagement with constant monitoring and correction of learners.
- You can also track learning activities live or by recording each session.
- With virtual e-learning, you can arrange training across the globe at the same time.
- You can offer personalised training that still adheres to rigid schedule under which a course must be completed.
- With multiple learners getting trained by same person, you can expect the same level of accountability and engagement from each leaner.
One drawback of using synchronous e-learning is that there are no technical difficulties that may hinder online live interactions.
The asynchronous type of e-learning includes offering a repository of information to the learners. Here, the learning depends on students completing a course at their own pace. There are no live interactions with an instructor or other participants. The students must rely on online information resources to learn. Human interaction is often limited to contacting an instructor or participants over messages boards, bulletin boards and discussion boards.
- With asynchronous e-learning, you can offer flexibility in training, where the students can complete a course at their own convenience.
- A learner can access information instantly for reference from anywhere at any time.
- You can also ensure uniformity of the contents being delivered to multiple learners.
With asynchronous e-learning, you will have to bear a one-time cost of production, which will be the most significant part of your budget.
There is also a hybrid form of e-learning which blends web-based online learning with online repository that learners can access. Many e-learning companies in India are engaged in developing blended learning courses, where educational CDs and study material is provided for students as they attend virtual classrooms.
Finding the Right Type of E-learning Approach
Now, there are several options you can choose for creating an e-learning program. You should carefully select the methods of developing an e-learning course and to deliver it to the learners. The type of learning method you select will greatly affect your objectives and budget.
- Asynchronous e-learning offers a better deal in case the course material has a long shelf life. This is true for generic education or training topics that are not specific to a process. It is a cost-effective solution if you do not require a virtual classroom and can provide pre-recorded study material to the students.
- On the other hand, synchronous e-learning offers an efficient method for a concept-based e-learning program. In certain instances, constant interaction with an instructor is the only way to conduct successful training program. For example, when you need your learners to understand complex concepts, such as in case of soft-skills training.
You can always seek help from professional e-learning developers to decide which e-learning program you should adopt to develop a certain skill. Stylus Solutions is one of the emerging organisations dealing with e-learning content development in Mumbai, which offers the most suitable approach in achieving your training goals.